How to Apply
Organizations interested in support need to complete Overture’s Community Arts Access application and provide supporting materials on the event/performance. Materials must be submitted by August 31, 2013.
We are now accepting applications for the 2014-15 season, you can find the application here.
For more information, contact
Ray Gargano, Director of Programming & Community Engagement
Overture Center for the Arts
201 State Street
Madison, WI 53703
608.258.4151 or [email protected].
A panel consisting of Overture programming, technical and event staff reviews applications. To be considered for support the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines:
- The event must be determined to further Overture’s mission and goals. Overture’s mission is: to engage the community in the arts, we present a broad spectrum of high-quality performing arts programming; develop audiences for the arts through high quality outreach and programming; advance the missions of resident arts organizations; advocate for the development of the arts in the community; and provide a world-class forum for diverse artistic expression.
- Applicants must be a nonprofit organization or the event must be associated with a nonprofit.
- The event must be arts and culture focused.
- The scope of the event cannot exceed 7 days.
- Applications must be received no later than 6 months prior to the event date.
- The event must occur when the Overture is open and staffed (no holidays).
- Overture Center provides venue rental and equipment subsidies
- Hard cost that will not be waived:
1. Labor costs: Front of house staff, ushers, security, stagehands
and piano tuning
2. Ticketing fees will apply to ticketed events
3. Maintenance and set-up fees
4. Catering a Fresco, Overture's in-house caterer, must provide all
food and beverage service for the event.
- All printed materials related to the event must be reviewed by Overture's marketing staff prior to the event.
- The use of Overture's credit statement and logo must be adhered to as outlined in the confirmed agreement.
- Applicants must adhere to all event policies and procedures.
- Applicants must participate in a preliminary meeting with technical director, event coordinator and Community Arts Access administer. If it is a ticketed event, the applicant must meet with the Ticket Office Manager to confirm prices, dates and times of the event.
- The event date must occur when Overture is open and staffed (no holidays).
- A completed application and required supporting materials as described on the application must be submitted.
- Applicants must complete a questionnaire, submit samples of publicity and marketing and any support materials.
- Applicants must participate in a post-event review to discuss and evaluate the event with Overture staff.
Criteria for Reviewing Applications
The following criteria will be used to review Community Arts Access applications:
- Was there a preliminary discussion about the event with Overture staff contacts?
- Is the application complete?
- Are the supporting materials in accordance with the event?
- Does the event align with Overture’s goals and mission? Complement overall program plan?
- Is the organization fiscally responsible?
- Is the budget realistic? What sources of revenue are or will be secured for the event?
- Is the facility available for the requested event?
- Could this event occur without Overture’s support?
- What scale of facility usage and staff resources will be needed to successfully execute the event? Is the event staff intensive?
- Does the organization have successful experience producing this event or a similar event?
- Has the group requesting support submitted/secured other opportunities with Overture?
Rent at Overture
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that every application that meets our criteria will receive support. There is also no guarantee of space availability. Overture has limited space availability and resources for this program.
If you do not qualify or do not receive support, Overture Center’s performance spaces are still available to rent. For more information about renting a space for a performance or concert, please visit Theater Rentals. For more information about renting a space for a meeting, conference, banquet, or party, please visit Host & Cater.